Sunday, July 19, 2015

Yunomori Onsen & Spa, Bangkok

Nestled in the Japanese-dominant area of Sukhumvit, Yunomori Onsen & Spa is the first and only authentic Japanese onsen experience in Bangkok. I got to know of Yunomori when casually browsing the free Japanese publication by JCB which can be found at the various BTS stations. 

The nearest BTS station being Phrom Phong, I would recommend that you call Yunomori in advance if you are going for spa treatment to avoid any disappointment. Walk-in for onsen should be fine without an appointment. Located at a-square, the place is quite a walking distance from the BTS, and the receptionist recommended that I take a motorbike in. The ride would cost about 20-30 baht.


The place is too hard to miss with the gigantic signage. 


Walk further up after passing the signage and you will arrive at the reception. 


The receptionist seems to speak good Japanese as well as Thai, and the spa served a good crowd of Japanese during my visit. After paying for my package, I was led into the shoes changing room and then to my locker at the female onsen area where photography and mobile phone usage are strictly prohibited. I took out my mobile phone once from my locker to check for calls and messages and was promptly advised otherwise by the staff on duty in the locker room. 

The onsen comprises six pools, a soda jet stream shower and a steam room, with a big cute cartoonised instructions to recommend usage procedure and duration. There were the soda pool, warm jacuzzi pool, mineral pool, cold pool, teak bath and an outdoor warm pool. It was comfortable and relaxing to be dipping in the well maintained and clean onsen pools. 

I also went for a two hour Thai massage which was skilfully executed by a male-service. You could request for female-service as well but I was fine with whatever was available. Before proceeding for the massage session, I was required to fill up a form to indicate areas that I would like to avoid or to focus on. At the end of massage, I was asked to fill in an evaluation form, as well as to fill in the tip amount which was to be settled at the end of the visit.

There are various water points in the facility to ensure that you remain hydrated throughout your visit. 


After my massage and another round of onsen, I went to the sleeping lounge where all the relaxed souls took naps.


You could also walk around and enjoy the outdoor garden.


A traditional practice is to drink milk after onsen, and you may find delicious Hokkaido milk at the quaint cafe. 


Ambiance at the cafe is good and you can find a handful of users hanging out here in their Yukatas sipping the reasonably priced milk. I love Hokkaido milk!


At the end of the day, after settling your account at the reception, just hang around at the area and wait for the free tuk tuk service to BTS Phrom Phong! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment