Friday, November 1, 2013

How Qatar Airways' marketing and crm took my breath away

Qatar Airways officially joined the oneworld today, offering loyal QR flyers better benefits than ever. 

Qatar Airways mabrook! 
*Mabrook means blessed in arabic and is a congratulatory word* 




What it means for us...

Not only are we able to earn mileage on QR and existing partner flights, but also flights marketed and operated by the oneworld partners. As such, we can now earn and redeem on oneworld flights which includes major airlines around the world inclusive of AA, Qantas, Cathay etc. 

Some critics may say that oneworld alliance is not as "great" as other greater alliance like star alliance per se. But what is the basis for "great"? oneworld has a good membership inclusive of at least 3 airlines who are in the top 10 airlines currently. Combining with QR's existing partner airlines like ANA and Asiana, it's incredible. Joining oneworld is a carefully thought business decision by QR which will prove worthy in the long run. 

A greater meaning...

Being part of oneworld meant that QR can now extend its presence into more territories, thus expanding its networks and destinations. Having unprecedented base is definitely beneficial to its flight route expansion. If you haven't realise, QR has one of the best network of destinations globally already, but they are still working conscientiously on it. 

A great news to all flyers indeed. 


Now onto how QR's marketing and crm takes the cake especially for this project #oneworldQatar
The almost seamless marketing and customer relationship management efforts by QR has kept me hooked on since my first trip on QR to Kenya. The flight experience apart, I feel that the customer experience has a crucial part to play in breeding loyalty and QR has succeeded in me. Direct emailers had made their way into my inbox without me feeling annoyed, and my loyalty was appreciated when it was upgraded to silver status after 8 legs. Email exchanges had been prompt as well.

A membership package for silver tier members arrived by snail mail soon after I was notified of the upgrade through email. It arrived nicely packaged with a welcome letter, some benefits at a glance, the membership card, as well as two personalised baggage tags.

Silver status meant access to lounges adding onto pre-flight comfort, and extra baggage allowance which is always appreciated. And then there the fuss-free redemption of mileage. Perfect. My recent experience on its business class leaves me wondering when will be my next. Hope QR will be able to clinch the top post for biz class again next year; they will. Felt right at home on board any QR flight even in Economy class. It's the hospitality plus the maroon corporate colour!

For joining oneworld, all existing members will receive a new card or membership package according to your tier. About a month prior to its inauguration, QR sent an email to notify of the changes. I'm satisfied. So were the forumers at FlyerTalk. Then in the month to follow, QR disseminated more information on the new membership scheme through multiple channels including its privilege club website, its main site, facebook and twitter. 



There was a live webcast of the oneworld inauguration on YouTube. Though there were some glitches at the start, it was smoothed out and I could watch it without interruptions. 


While QR's CEO, Akbar Al Baker made a very charismatic speech, making points on QR's expansion by new fleet and destinations and of course oneworld, the Qatari Business Leader Of The Year kept webcast audience hooked on with carefully planted announcement of new perks. Double Qmiles on oneworld flights!


Simultaneously while the team is busy handling the technical aspects, there were also the social media experts hard at work. Talk about multi-platforming. This is it. A contest was ran simultaneously on QR's facebook page and twitter to encourage loyal fans to hashtag 'oneworldQatar' to congratulate QR's joining into oneworld. The contest winner will win a large amount of mileage. I didn't win, but still, I love my QR!

#oneworldQatar 

Eventhough these social networking sites were kept busy, the social media experts had maintain their efficiency and managed to provide live updates and even replies. I love the personal touch in this. The replies. This made us feel all the more treasured as QR flyers.

If we're talking about how QR can improve in its customer relationship management, then I'm really a little unhappy that in a recent mailer they wrongly saluted me as Mr. However, following mailers came correctly saluted, as it was probably just a generic mistake. It's alright. Oh yes, and I think I saw a slimming pill question on their privilege club members' FAQ definitely put up by mistake last month. I've just went in to check and it's cleared already.

Even though my silver membership is going to expire at the end of this year, I still appreciate all the service that they have rendered to me. 

My copy for QR: 
I heart my QR, keeps getting better!


QR Mabrook!

No comments:

Post a Comment