Monday, February 17, 2014

30 Minutes Lunch Rant - The Ask-Hole!

'Ask-Hole' is probably one of the latest net lingo to surface. It is essentially a combination of 'ask' as in incessant asking, and 'hole', plainly asshole. It aims to aptly describe the state of distress and dissatisfaction one experiences when being approached by subject, who keeps asking you on things and matters big and small, however, disregard your time and effort and eventually disregard your input. Alright, just one who asks you for advice and does the opposite.

Why ask? Why ask in the first place then. Typical of Ask-Hole. This kinda tops my biggest turn-off list. To be honest, I believe this Ask-Hole behaviour makes the list of many individuals as well.

You know, sometimes it's really okay to gossip, take part in senseless bantering or such. As a matter of fact, I also frequently ask my friends 'should I get the blue shirt or red one', and he/she probably replies 'red' but I still make my way to the cashier with the blue one. That I can understand, because many a time we already form judgement in our minds, and by casually asking, we just wanted someone to assure us that our judgement is right or acceptable. Therefore, when I go ahead with the blue shirt despite the suggestion, that is an over confidence on my judgement and thus a risk factor is added on. Doesn't matter, this is not an Ask-Hole example.

Ask-Hole works on a deeper level, a greater time waster. I had a friend named Hugh (not real name). So one day, Hugh decided to ask my opinion on which phone to get. Hmmmm say.. Iphone 5s vs Iphone 5c. Then, Hugh took me for grant and left me spending one whole day researching online, coming up with analysis and comparisons before finally coming to a firm conclusion. All the while Hugh was not keen on helping in the research, but focused on the conclusion. Finally, after much bugging, he got his answer, and that's it. I HAD a friend. 

Guess what was Hugh's decision? 'I decided to use the money to go for a holiday in Australia'. All in a day. If you had let me known earlier, I wouldn't had wasted my time isn't it? And why were you bugging me for the answer?

Ask-Hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment