Tuesday, February 4, 2014

30 Minutes Lunch Rant - K-pop and Internet

30 Minutes Lunch Rant - Ep 1 premieres today!

Only thirty minutes to the end of lunch and that's when the itchy fingers strike! Thirty minutes is enough for constructive talk for the older me.

Not going to head off with those open-ended discussions or such. Rather, to touch base on what we are most familiar with. K-pop and Internet.

2013 has seen many instances in the rise and fall of Korean Pop idol groups and events. Not saying that any particular group went bust, but to recognize the several botched events in Singapore.

How did K-pop got into the rest of the Asia, and subsequently other continents?

Internet, Social Networking Sites.

With Internet, K-pop groups quickly gained larger exposure in comparison to traditional media. Prospective fans were, and still am able to get to know new fan-objects online. Resources aplenty, however, why should we say that it's the Internet and SNS that propagated the rise of k-pop?

Fans and audiences now are active and selective in their preferences. Most no longer go into broad based websites, like YouTube home page to wait for the site to feed them with recommendations. Instead, they input searches and straight to the point, get what they want. After locking in on their preference... Say... Perhaps I like LeeSsang, I go on to subscribe to their page on YouTube.

Not only can I find resources on YouTube, I can also favourite blogs, tumblr, Facebook pages, and also to follow offical Fanpages. The first step has been done. And then the wonder of Internet & SNS kicks in here. Ever heard of "popularity is attractiveness"? This is what Internet & SNS does. Not only do fans get "inducted" to the fan culture, but also, a continuation is produced.

Fans beyond the confine of object. Let's say I was attracted to LeeSsang's Gary through the Running Man show, even through the conclusion of the show, I still am attracted to LeeSsang. Post-object fandom to be precised. Why so and how? Because of the resources I get online!

When the show was ongoing, I get my bites online, forming a fan base. Following the conclusion of the show, the online environment continues to feed me with the necessary to continue this fandom. The support from fellow fans, the constantly resurfacing materials and photos, reminds me of my purpose in fandom. Thus this cycle is what the Internet and SNS can do to sustain the fandom, by luring new fans and to keep existing ones in the loop and it continues to grow from there.

I remember seeing a blog which posts the same exact photo of an actor daily. It may seem silly, but this ritual of reminder serves a very purpose in sustaining and growing fandom made possible by the Internet and SNS.

How fast 30 minutes past.. For further discussions, feel free to contact me.

Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment