Sunday, March 23, 2014

My Top 3 Overseas Fruit Beer/Cider

1. Haake Beck Alster (middle bottle) - Bremen, Germany

Walked into a small beer store in Bremen one night and had a nice conversation with the owner. One of the rare rare instances that I met someone fluent in English in Bremen. He recommended three bottles for the night, and you guessed it. All Beck's. Beck's has a brewery in Bremen, and the Haake Beck line was exclusive to Bremen due to inability to provide larger supply. There were Haake Beck Pils, Haake Beck 12, Haake Beck Alster and another one which I've forgotten. I tried Haake Beck Alster and boy, the owner's recommendation was a spot on for my palette!

It was crisp and light, optimally aerated. You know how some beers are overly 'gassy' right? This was smooth and malty, but with a fruity, citrus after taste which rounded up the experience perfectly. It also went absolutely well with my pork knuckles. This beer was one of the highlights of my weekend trip to Bremen oh my god. 

If you're wondering about the bottle next to it, Beck's ice lime & mint beer didn't manage to leave an impression in me. It was probably not too bad, but obviously Haake Beck Alster took the cake.



2. Bud Light Lime - USA

Bought a sixer while in USA and I would announce it as second best on my list. Hmmm... I would say it's like, good beer in a light version infused with lime. Light and easy to drink.


Photo credit: Yahoo Images

3. Kopparberg Strawberry & Lime cider - UK & Singapore

Yes, finally something good that we can find here! My first experience of it was when I was studying in Liverpool, and fruit ciders were popular for summer. Unlike Singapore, they have a whole rack at Tesco filled with various brands and flavours of ciders. After tasting a few, Kopparberg Strawberry & Lime cider became a regular in my fridge. I suspect it had lured over the heart of my flatmates as well as I often saw Kopparberg that were not mine, in the fridge too. 

I usually grab mine locally in Cold Storage after coming back from UK, but have since cut down on my supplies as it's a little too heavy on sugar intake based on regular consumption. 

Photo credit: Yahoo Images

It is always good to have a toast, but please be reminded to do so in moderation. Stay healthy my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment