Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King (Orchid Hotel)

My penchant for japanese ramen. So, tuesday night I went to the much raved about Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King. Apparently it had won some champion in Japan few years ago.

Alight at Tanjong Pagar MRT station, head out via Exit A, turn right and you will see Orchid Hotel's entrace right opposite the road on Tras Link. The ramen shop is not exactly in the hotel itself but shares the building, occupying the corner left unit leading to a row of Japanese eateries.

So, don't go into the hotel lobby. It is not there. Go to the side of the hotel and you will see some Tonkotsu King's flags outside... And a queue.

Don't worry about the queue. There were about ten people before me when I joined in. I was immediately given an order slip and pen. While waiting, there is iced barley in front for free consumption. Very thoughtful. The queue.. It is actually so fast moving, the couple behind me got in before me.

For ordering, there is only one thing on the menu. Ramen. Cha shu ramen. But you can choose from original broth, spicy broth or black pepper broth. It comes in different intensity too. Light Normal Heavy. And then you could choose how much chicken oil you want, Less Normal More; and the firmness of the noodles. Soft Normal Hard. It was indicated on the order slip that Normal is the authentic Japanese experience.

Oh and the toppings! I'll recommend 'all toppings'. Can never go wrong with that.

Drinks you could order from cola, sprite, oolong tea, beer or.... Their very own Green Tea Cola!

Service was swift. I haven't had the time to touch the beansprouts on the table before my ramen was served. However, i tried it later on and WOW! It was slightly spicy from the chilli oil, but majorly fragrant with sesame oil. So good, so crunchy and appetising! They were so good!


Alright, off to my Heavy original broth, Normal chicken oil, Normal noodles bowl of ramen. A pestle and mortar was given to me to grind the black and white sesame. Definitely a midas touch to the broth.

The broth was shiok, but actually could do heavier... The cha shu was good. Two slices of moist pork that was cut just nice in thickness, flavourful too. Big piece of seaweed. I love it. But the egg yolk was not runny. disappointed.

I didn't quite like my noodles Normal, and I was hungry still. I ordered a serving of Kaedama (add noodles)! This time in Firm. It proved much to my liking.


The green tea cola? It tasted like cola and not a hint of green tea. I double checked the ingredients to make sure it contained green tea. It felt like it was a lighter, less carbonated version of Coca Cola. 

And the bowl of hard boiled eggs? Yes. Free flow :)

Overall, a busy ramen place that exudes Japanese charm. Ramen was good but not the best. I need my runny egg yolk. 

Damage for the night: less than $20


Orchid Hotel
1 Tras Link, #01-19 
Singapore


(Note: all meals featured on thewriteperson are fully paid for by the author with no preferential treatment)

No comments:

Post a Comment