Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Dreams are realised, not lost.

Do you still remember the numerous times in primary school when you were tasked to write about your dreams and ambitions? I did.


When I was in Primary 4, I wanted to be a reporter. A war-zone reporter to be precise. That was when I was age 10 and 'war-zone' was kind of sugar coated. Tales of bravery of front line soldiers, the protection and 'special rights' of war-zone reporter enticed me. No one said my aspiration was bad or wrong or whatsoever.


I was very much into chinese writing, and had my first article published in Lianhe Zaobao in Primary 5. It was a big step for me to experience how it feels to see my work goes into public eyes. A step nearer to being a war-zone reporter perhaps.


However, as I grew older, all I can do is to laugh off that aspiration. Cliche as can be, what is right of war, and do I really want to be there to report what is left of war? And the 'special rights', I can only say that bullets have no eyes.


And then I remember distinctively in Primary 6, the same question was asked again in class. This time, my best friend answered that she wants to be a professor. I have never heard of the title professor before, but had an idea of what it is after her explanation. So, I wanted to be a professor too! 


Slowly over the years, many of us probably forgets what we wanted to be, what our dreams are. Which is really alright, because along the way we would explore the different options we have in life.


Really, are our dreams lost?


I would say no. We merely adapted our dreams to reality. We realise our dreams. We become realistic.


So, my dream was to become a war-zone reporter... and along the line in the media industry. I went on to major in Mass Communications in university.


I don't think I fell too far off target by doing few months of sports journalism last year, and switching to corporate communications this year. Ultimately the same basis holds, and the dream was not lost at all, in fact it upgraded into something better. This is the power of adaptation. If we do not reflect and re-draw our life plans to make it work out, you can only imagine the agony.


What about my professor dream? I am very much encouraged by the academic paper oral presentation offer at the International conference slated for August, which I have sadly rejected the invitation due to circumstance. The timing is not right. However, I believe I will become better in time to come. Slightly disheartened now but I definitely will move on.


Back to dreams and growing up. 


Of course I didn't have it easy. A lot of challenges and tumbles along the way, but hold strong to your belief and the strength will come. It does not matter whether or not you realise your dream at the first attempt, it is the journey that you learn most. 


At age 24, I am still so green to the society, and in particular, corporate world. So much to learn, but don't lose sight of your dreams. Make it work out for you. Everyone have some form of regrets, me too, but I try not to let it hold me back. I'm still trying hard, but I am sure we are all able to find some way to compensate the regrets we have in our life somehow. 


It's midweek, look up and take a breather. Everything will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment