Monday, June 30, 2014

[Review] La Ristrettos Coffee Boutique

Discovered this coffee boutique by chance when my colleague and I walked past its poster at Novena Square. Quietly tucked in the corner on level 8 of Novena Medical Centre is this hidden gem. Despite the busy lunch hour, La Ristrettos provided a perfect getaway. It is just a small unit, probably a 20-seater at best, with al fresco option.

However, the ambience is so ideal. Warm and cosy, with hint of coffee in the air. Open concept coffee bar sees the barista at work.


We chose the indoor high seat and it overlooks the bamboo garden outside. Feast for the eyes even before our food came. The seating arrangement was spaced adequately, so it was not too much of a squeeze, and still able to chat comfortably. The menu is extensive with different kinds of coffee, pasta dishes, salads, sandwiches, soup, brunch...

For lunch, I ordered my usual Iced Americano, and a Panini Cotoletta.

Panini Cotoletta ($11)
Their Panini Cotoletta was a clear winner. I always thought nothing can go wrong with Panini, and thus, nothing can go especially well with it. Usually sandwiches are my insurance choice, and Panini tops the insurance choice for its lower calories. Ah well, forget about the calories in this case.. 

Panini Cotoletta is an awesome combination of panini, italian schnitzel, lemon aioli, avocado, paired with garden greens tossed in balsamic vinaigrette. The panini bread was smothered with butter and toasted, giving it a chewy texture. The portion is not at all small, so expect a very filling lunch. In fact I only ate the top bread. The italian schnitzel was so tasty. It is so spot-on for a schnitzel! The batter was tasty, and fried to perfection. Chicken was still tender. Topped with the lemon aioli, it was well-balanced, shaving away the greasiness, and yet topping another notch in taste. 

Fried chicken, aioli, buttered panini, sounds too heavy right? Thank goodness for the avocados! Ripe slices of avocado accented the dish, simultaneously adding a creamy dimension.

Moving on to my Iced Americano.. For the longest time ever I've declared my love for Iced Americano, and sometimes white. How I can resist not ordering a cuppa at a coffee boutique? They have Americano ($3.50) on the menu, but not Iced Americano. Just add ice, it's a dollar for ice. I wonder why is the ice quite overpriced. But at $4.50, it is still great value for money for a cup of Iced Americano. It is one of the fair priced cup that I've had in cafes.

Americano is basically just espresso shots topped with hot water. To me, it is always the good way to find out the cafe's coffee quality through Americano. It is a skill test as well. When brewed at a sub-optimal temperature, the espresso shot actually goes sour.

So, I am actually a little disappointed about my Iced Americano here. Though the espresso was done correctly, but the coffee strength and aroma was lacking. It was rather bland for my liking. For a place that touts using good coffee beans, I would have expected more from my Iced Americano. I started sipping from the bottom of the cup, so I'm pretty sure it was bland not because the ice diluted it. 

I love this place for it's ambiance and Panini Cotoletta. Will give the Americano another chance soon, and hope it was just a 'misunderstanding' =)

No comments:

Post a Comment