Thursday, September 26, 2013

Attended my first ever dhamma talk


Going to my first dhamma talk was like my first time in church. Pray and worship and follow everything as others did. But I must say this is a great learning process. A joyous event.

Venerable Master Hai Tao of Taiwan is largely gaining popularity amongst younger buddhists due to his prominent presence online. He chairs the Buddhist Life Channel in Taiwan which had seen success in promoting the religion predominently through their own YouTube channel. Facebook pages are also used to promote his cause of buddhism.

I got to know of Master Hai Tao's YouTube videos when forummers on AmuletForums.com shared his video in one of the threads. He speaks of buddhism in a very practical way with a good mix of humour. A very charismatic speaker that appealed greatly to me. I never expected dhamma talks to be so applicable to life in an interesting way. I expected boring talks from prayer books. 

The way how he is so technologically savvy really blows me off my chair. I believe his success in expanding his reach to younger audience and keeping in touch with middle aged audience is attributed to this. I met a 32yo lady who travelled down from the east as well, and one of her first question to me was if i watched Master Hai Tao's video on YouTube. Yes yes yes.

He talks buddhism from supernatural issues to house fengshui and everything. One thing he said about fengshui is that it helps us as commoners, but once you 'see through' life, fengshui is negligible. True that.

Today's talk was well attended by buddhists all over Singapore. the entire tentage was filled up and some had to sit or stand outside under the light drizzle. hmmm i would say, about 400 people or more?

Eventhough I left office ten minutes earlier and took a cab from bukit gombak mrt to the temple where it is hosted, I was still late. By the time I settled down, the dhamma talk was already at the candle lighting ceremony. I think I missed some earlier ceremonies. But I enjoyed the empowerment of chanting. It was simple words printed on the prayer book but when Master Hai Tao sang it, it was so beautiful. Very beautiful voice. Sometimes I can't help but to think that I can't thank the Sangha enough, because not only were they willing to give up on earthly possessions, but they just had great qualities for spreading the words of god.

This is probably how everyone has a role in life. Some can do this, others can do that. 

Oh! We had an interesting ceremony hahhahahahaha! We were given a slice of white bread to roll up and dab on our body. It kind of symbolised pain and sufferings taken away from us into the bread roll which was supposed to represent us. But my previously injured ankle is still aching. Alamak forgot to dab on my ankle!

After some chantings to pray for everyone's health, there was a lecture on Boddhisatva's teachings which lasted till 10pm. After which the ceremony was closed by transferring the merits of our prayers to the unseen beings around.


Some religious items were also available to take home free. I wanted a picture of H.H 17th Karmapa but the lady said they didn't have it today. If you read about tibetan Karmapa's reincarnations, then you will know why I want a picture of him. Not too bad I got a book on Karmapa's speech. Gladly surprised to see his picture in it. Got some stickers in which the tibetan monk spoke highly of, and some DVDs! 

Coincidentally today is a special day to light candle. So I lit one lotus candle at $10 at the temple. Not to be confused with, the dhamma talk was totally free.

Such an eye opener which kept me awake throughout. But I'm so exhausted now from all the travelling to and fro. Good night world! 

May buddha's light shine on everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment