Saturday, September 7, 2013

[Bangkok] Tad Seua Shirt Yow Sorng Tua

Sawadika!

Sharing the fruit of labour after ten weeks of basic conversational Thai class...

Decoding the post's title:

Tad Seua = Make/tailor clothes
Shirt Yow = Long sleeve shirt
Sorng Tua = Two pieces


The Thai tailors are well known for their fine workmanship, coupled with the much lower price than Singapre, tailoring shirts makes an incredibly viable option over at the Land of Smiles.

My virgin attempt at getting my shirts done at Paul's Fashion. 

PF is located at the Lower Lobby level at Amari Watergate Hotel right opposite Platinum Fashion Mall. The same level houses another two tailor options in which had better, recent reviews from our fellow Singaporeans. However, I decided to go ahead with PF as email exchange with its boss, Mike Gulati, gave me a good impression. I can't comment much on this as in fact, I only emailed Mike as the other tailor had its price list online already.

Tad seua is a very subjective issue. As it is handmade, there are bound to be some differences and may not be perfect at first fitting. Thus, this can be one's apple and another's poison.

PF is on competitive pricing with the others at the same location, and I would not say it's cheaper, but the photos from past customers did influenced me to go ahead. It has what I am looking for. I've seen shops around pratunam offering almost half its price for tad seua, but am really skeptical of the quality. I am rather picky.

By the way, Mike and his workers speaks very good English. Look for Ram when you are there, Mike is a busy boss who is frequently out to take in more orders!

The fabrics are split into three price/quality range: the upper tier, mid tier and average. I made two shirts, one from mid tier(navy) and one average(pink).

Let's talk about the average one first. I chose the pink striped fabric as it eludes a sense of liveliness and vibrancy. Even at average price/quality tier, I can safely vouch for its quality. Better than off the rack shirts for many of the major brands found in Metro. For a sweat bucket like me, this is good news definitely.

Sorry for the shorts, fatigued look and limp hair, I was too excited to get photos after getting home from bkk.


I chose a floral contrast to go on the half-moon cuffs and inner collar. This cotton shirt was done with a box placket, no pocket, italian one button collar, round cut bottom for tuck out, two back darts and matching buttons and button holes. 

Look at the dense button hole! A mark of quality.I like this shirt. Definitely going places with me. As you can see from the creases, more can be done to get a better fit next time.

Even my niece can't resist taking a photo with me while she was down with a fever! 


The second cotton shirt boasts a higher quality fabric which is smooth and cooling, which also means more wrinkles!


I really really love this fabric even if it means more care needed! Like careful ironing to avoid shine! Nice navy blue fabric with black floral contrast at half-moon cuff and inner collar. Italian one button collar, no pocket, two back darts, round bottom, matching buttons and contrast button holes in orange. No monogram, don't know if PF does monograms though. This combination is a killer. 

However, this shirt is slightly looser than the pink one. The seam joining the shoulder and sleeves does not sits nicely at my shoulder (read: oversize), and probably as a result, the sleeves are obviously too long. Could have asked for an alteration but I was scooting back to Singapore on day of collection already.

Nonetheless, for the price paid, really good. Eventhough there were additional charges for the half-moon cuffs and contrasts, as compared to SG's $100 up per shirt, this is really budget tailoring at its finest. Overall satisfied, will continue to patronise PF to get that desirable fit. 

Kob khun mak ka!

Paul's Fashion
Amari Watergate Hotel
Shop #1, 847 Petchburi Rd, Pratunam,
Rajthevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand.


Disclaimer: All products reviewed are paid for in full at non-preferential rate by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment